- It's unclear if the 'Engi' are partly organic or entirely mechanical, but it's well known that they make exceptional engineers.
Despite a nonaggression pact with the Rebels, the Engi are the strongest supporters of the Galactic Federation, and have been secretly aiding them when possible. They consider restoring the Federation to be the highest priority. The Federation outsourced designing of the new Stealth Cruiser to the Engi. In addition to the Federation, the Engi are allies of the Zoltan. Since the collapse of the Federation they have been preyed upon incessantly by the Mantis, who regard them as ideal slaves. Many Mantis ships have Engi crew members, possibly slaves, compensating for the Mantis' poor repair abilities.
Beside their advanced Med-bot Dispersal device, Engi often make use of drones in combat situations.
+ Repair speed is doubled
- Combat damage inflicted is halved
Engi are most useful when used as repair crew or manning ship systems, and should avoid one-on-one combat unless absolutely necessary, especially without medical support.
Note: System repairs, hull breaches, and fires are all fixed at double speed
Note: Despite being mostly made up of nanobots, Engi can still suffocate and die from lack of oxygen.
- (Engi Crew) Remotely repair its targeting system. (Occurs on Malfunctioning Defense System)
- (Engi Crew) Have your Engi crew-member contact them. (Occurs on Engi Fleet Discussion)
- (Engi Crew) Send your Engi to calm down the infected. (Occurs on Unknown Disease on Mining Colony)
- (Engi Crew) Threat unresolved. Current mission imperative: Protocol 52.34. (Occurs on Engi distress call)
- (Engi Crew) Have your Engi crewmember negotiate with the Engi ship. (Occurs on The Engi Virus)
- (Engi Crew) Have your Engi crewmember hail the vessel and assess the damage. (Occurs on Two Smashed Ships)
- (Engi Crew) Negotiate a better deal. (Occurs on Refugee ship trading for scrap)
- (Engi Crew) Say ABADOTH. (Occurs on Nebula seen Ships Exchange Fire)
- The Engi are the only race to have official art that depicts them in a more detailed appearance.