- These telepathic Slugs were shunned in the Galactic Federation for their constant thievery and attempts at manipulation.
The xenophobic, leisurely Slugs are the third rarest race in the galaxy, behind the mythical Crystal and Lanius. Their home sectors are all engulfed in enormous nebulae, which lead to them evolving unique psychic abilities in order to overcome the general lack of visibility. As a result, Slug ships aren't built with sensors; the psychic powers of the crew are just as effective, if not more so, than any electronic system. This leaves them at a distinct disadvantage outside nebulae however, so that even within their sectors they are almost never seen outside the concealing clouds. While not as aggressive as the Rockmen or the Mantis, Slugs are both greedy and deceitful. They prey upon ships that wander into their home systems, often leading them into traps, as well as resort to piracy in other systems.
+ Telepathic powers reveal rooms and lifeforms even when sensors are down (or nonexistent).
+ Immune to mind control.
Slugs can see into adjacent rooms connected to the one they're standing in. They can also detect enemy crew members on your ship or theirs.
As of Advanced Edition, Slugs can now detect what type of life form they are sensing and what they are currently doing, whereas before it was just a dot on the screen. It has not been seen to have changed any events - this merely appears to be a change to how you detect enemies during combat.
- (Slug Crew) Have your Slug talk them into letting you go. (Occurs on Zoltan Security Checkpoint)
- (Slug Crew) Our Slug senses someone aboard the ship. Investigate it. (Occurs on Slug Transport with Military Escort)
- (Slug Crew) Have your crew monitor their life signatures. (Occurs on Slug Home Nebula Surrender)
- (Slug Crew) "Sir, allow me to assess his mental state." (Occurs on Single Life Form on Moon)
- (Slug Crew) Attempt to communicate telepathically. (Occurs on Intelligent Lifeform on Planet)
- (Slug Crew) Check for lifeforms and keep a lookout for ships while looting the wreck. (Occurs on Disabled Rock Transport)
- (Slug Crew) Have your Slug crewmember oversee the purchase. (Occurs on Poorly Armed Slug Ship)
- (Slug Crew) Engage in a duel of the mind. (Occurs on The Black Raven)
- (Slug Crew) Ask your Slug crew to scan for survivors. (Occurs on Nebula seen Ships Exchange Fire)
- (Slug Crew) Ask your Slug crewmember to scan for life forms. (Occurs on Nebula seen Ships Exchange Fire)
- (Slug Crew) "Sir: We can dock, but I sense that we better plan on making a purchase..." (Occurs on Merchant with Conspicuous Markings)