This is a Random Event. Occurs in:
- Civilian Sector
- Engi Controlled Sector
- Engi Homeworlds
- Zoltan Controlled Sector
- Zoltan Homeworlds
- Pirate Controlled Sector
- Rebel Controlled Sector
- Rebel Stronghold
- Mantis Controlled Sector
- Mantis Homeworlds
- Rock Controlled Sector
- Rock Homeworlds
- Abandoned Sector
- Uncharted Nebula
- Slug Controlled Nebula
- Slug Home Nebula
at a distress beacon. The Long-Range Scanners will say "Possible Ship Detected".
The intro text for this event varies, and could be any of the following:
- You arrive at the beacon and immediately detect a pirate ship. It seems this distress beacon was a trap!
- "Haha! I knew someone would fall into our dastardly trap!" It appears this distress beacon was nothing but a decoy for a pirate ambush.
- Your cockpit lights up with warning signals. You are being targeted by a nearby ship. The distress call was a lure to attract unwitting ships into weapons range. You prepare for a fight.
- As soon as you arrive at the distress signal, shots are fired toward your ship. A trap!
- Fight a pirate ship (default rewards).
This event is called "TRAP_BEACON" in the datafiles.