This is a Random Event. Occurs in:
The intro text for this event varies, and could be any of the following:
- "Emergency, all ships in range, we are under attack!" The frequency matches a nearby Zoltan ship; you move in on their pursuer. They take your intervention as a cue to jump away. Cowards.
- You jump just in time to witness a Zoltan ship's FTL drive overload. In their final moments they implore you not to get involved, but it's too late - their attacker is already upon you!
- Despite their precautions, pirates have begun to harass the local Zoltan settlements across this sector. One such pirate spots your ship and moves in to attack.
- A ship with pirate markings demand that you surrender. These are sad times when even Zoltan space is beset by pirates. You doubt these fools will be missed.
- You spot a pirate ship looting a small Zoltan cruiser. They spot you and move in to attack before your FTL drive has a chance to recharge.
- Fight a pirate ship (default rewards).
This event is called "ZOLTAN_PIRATE" in the datafiles.